Can plants feel pain? Use the telephone? Set traps for their prey? We uncover the secret lives of plants – from seedlings to houseplants to trop...
Sending flowers is a wonderful gesture that will brighten most anyone’s day. Whether it is for a special occasion or just a small act of kindness, bou...
This summer, the global business climate was shaken by events in Greece and China. Despite evidence of economic strength in the United States and a co...
Good news for holiday retail! Personal income growth may be stubbornly flat, but consumers are enthusiastic about the upcoming shopping season. Our 30...
Vijfhuizen, Friday October 30. Five days before IFTF 2015 will open its doors, the International Floriculture Trade Fair is being built up almost arou...
University of Georgia alumni Maxine and Bob Burton have been awarded the Medallion of Honor by the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and E...
We all know flowers are colorful and beautiful…but edible? That’s what residents of Bogota, Colombia’s restaurant scene are discovering. Colombia feed...
Ancient Egyptians dubbed aloe vera the “plant of immortality”. You may have used aloe vera already if you’ve ever experienced a bad sunburn; it’s the ...
KENNETT SQUARE, PA- Longwood Gardens is anything but dreary this winter. The heated 4-acre conservatory transports guests into a warm oasis featuring ...
There’s an angry divisive tension in the air that threatens to make modern politics impossible. Elizabeth Lesser explores the two sides of human...
Daily News Feed
- World War Zika: Colombia confronts a growing pandemic7 February 2016, 10:29 am
For clues in the fight against Zika, Colombia looks back at another Latin American epidemic spread by the same mosquito. The article World War Zika: Colombia confronts a growing pandemic appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- What it’s like to have Chikungunya, Zika’s agonizing cousin6 February 2016, 9:40 am
Zika is grabbing headlines at the moment, but its viral relative Chikungunya typically causes much more devastating symptoms. The article What it’s like to have Chikungunya, Zika’s agonizing cousin appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- Obama announces new $450 million ‘Peace Colombia’ plan4 February 2016, 5:50 pm
President Obama and President Santos announced Thursday “Peace Colombia,” a $450 million successor to Plan Colombia. The article Obama announces new $450 million ‘Peace Colombia’ plan appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- Bogotá goes car free for first ‘Día Sin Carro’ of 20163 February 2016, 3:49 pm
This Thursday, Bogotá residents will have to leave cars and motorcycles at home and get around on foot, bicycle or mass transit. The article Bogotá goes car free for first ‘Día Sin Carro’ of 2016 appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- With Washington visit, President Santos pushes post-conflict Plan Colombia3 February 2016, 9:50 am
Fifteen years after Plan Colombia went into effect, President Santos is in Washington to meet with President Obama and others to talk about the post-conflict era. The article With Washington visit, President Santos pushes post-conflict Plan Colombia appeared first on The City Paper Bogotá. ...
- The Venus Flytrap, a Plant That Can Count2 February 2016, 12:00 am
By wiring up the insect-eating plant, scientists found that it counted the electrical impulses that came from trigger hairs on its leafy jaws....
- A Gentleman in the Water Lilies25 January 2016, 12:00 am
A poem about the retrieval of a young woman’s earring from the murky waters of a pond in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden....
- A Start-Up That Aims to Bring Back the Farm-to-Vase Bouquet10 January 2016, 12:00 am
The locavore movement urges buying food produced in one’s immediate region. Farmgirl Flowers is trying to do the same for flowers....
- Review: In ‘The Cabaret of Plants,’ Richard Mabey Demonstrates Their Richness4 January 2016, 12:00 am
In his new book, the British naturalist writes about how plants are aware of their environment in a way we have yet to comprehend....
- Bill Cunningham | Lush Colors3 January 2016, 12:00 am
The richness of colors, particularly pastels and flower patterns on winter coats, often reflects the hidden treasures of gemstones and of vegetables sliced open, revealing an intense color inside....
- Emilia Fox at the Evening Standard British Film Awards in London - Daily Mail7 February 2016, 6:37 pm
Daily MailEmilia Fox at the Evening Standard British Film Awards in LondonDaily MailStanding out for all the right reasons, Emilia was divine as she sashayed in an embroidered bandeau prom style creation made up of floral detail. RELATED ARTICLES. Previous; 1; Next. Phwoar and pose! Tuppence Middleton stuns in daring plunging....
- Emilia Fox stuns in elegant floral gown at British Film Awards - Daily Mail7 February 2016, 6:24 pm
Emilia Fox stuns in elegant floral gown at British Film AwardsDaily MailEmilia Fox stuns in elegant floral gown at British Film Awards. Emilia Fox is the picture of elegance in a white floral bandeau gown at the Evening Standard British Film Awards. Camilla Kerslake stuns in semi-sheer... Read More · 0:23min · Hillary ......
- Mena Suvari looks dreamy in pale pink satin dress at DGA Awards 2016 - Daily Mail7 February 2016, 6:59 am
Daily MailMena Suvari looks dreamy in pale pink satin dress at DGA Awards 2016Daily MailMena Suvari wore a petal-embellished gown on Saturday to the DGA Awards reminiscent of her dreamy scene in American Beauty. The 36-year-old actress dazzled in the pale pink dress with a scoop-neck bodice that featured petals on one side. Mena had ...and more »...
- PWR BTTM Need Happy Dresses and Everything Fun and Floral - Noisey (blog)6 February 2016, 1:13 pm
Noisey (blog)PWR BTTM Need Happy Dresses and Everything Fun and FloralNoisey (blog)If you've ever been to a PWR BTTM show, you know that duo Ben Hopkins and Liv Bruce ooze cool. With glitter, bleeding makeup, dresses and flowers, the band knows how to look fabulous while rocking out. (They also make sure their live shows are safe ......
- St. George Utah Florist | Desert Rose Floral - The Independent | SUindependent.com6 February 2016, 8:26 am
The Independent | SUindependent.comSt. George Utah Florist | Desert Rose FloralThe Independent | SUindependent.comSt. George Utah Florist Desert Rose Floral is a local St. George, Utah, florist proudly serving the area since 1992. Our shop offers a lovely variety of fresh flowers and creative gift ideas to suit any style or budget. We hope you enjoy your online ......
- ICYMI Balance states’ rights with e-commerce4 February 2016, 10:57 am
In an op-ed published in the Argus Leader yesterday, state Senator Deb Peters of South Dakota urged Congress to consider common-sense legislation to address both taxes on Internet access and e-commerce....
- Here We Go Again - NY, NJ Port Walkout Could Have Negative Economic Repercussions2 February 2016, 8:28 am
An unexpected walkout by longshoremen today shut down port operations at the nation’s largest east coast port. The unexpected strike has retailers concerned that a prolonged strike could hamper economic growth and wreak havoc on spring deliveries....
- RILA Reacts to EEOC Reporting Proposal29 January 2016, 4:11 pm
RILA issued the following statement in response to a proposal from the EEOC that would require businesses with 100 or more employees to report compensation data for ten job classifications broken down by race, ethnicity, and gender....
- RILA Elects Retail CEOs to Board of Directors25 January 2016, 9:17 am
RILA announced today that nine top retail executives have been elected to the association's Board of Directors....
- Call for Entries 2016 Retail AP Innovation Awards22 January 2016, 10:35 am
RILA, the trade association for the world's largest and most innovative retail companies, today announced it is now accepting applications for the 2016 Retail AP Innovation Awards....
- Arter gets NGA Spirt of America Award5 February 2016, 1:51 pm
The National Grocers Association said Friday it has presented Martin Arter, president and CEO of Affiliated Foods Midwest, with the NGA Spirit of America Award. read more...
- Fairway may miss covenants in April5 February 2016, 1:10 pm
Fairway Group Holdings, corporate parent of New York-based Fairway Market, said Friday the company may fall out of compliance with financial covenants at the end of its fiscal year in April, with the possibility it might not have enough working capital to fulfill its debt obligations. read more...
- Meat case study: ‘No longer one meat shopper’5 February 2016, 10:00 am
Changes in American dietary preferences and demographics continue to have a big impact on the meat department Changes in American dietary preferences and demographics continue to have a big impact on the meat department. read more...
- Q&A with Southeastern Grocers CEO Ian McLeod4 February 2016, 5:11 pm
Lots of progress, but game in still in 'opening 10 minutes' In the 11 months since being named CEO of Southeastern Grocers, Ian McLeod has embarked on a major efficiency program helping to fund a $70 million pricing investment, and rallied its merchants and operators around new products and higher standards, and most recently, brought a store back from the dead. But he’s only getting started. read more...
- Retail prepared foods increase service, decrease SKUs: FMI study4 February 2016, 4:49 pm
As supermarket prepared food departments have become more robust, they have added more trained staff and extra amenities while decreasing the number of offerings, according to the results of a new FMI study. read more...
- California rains expected to disrupt strawberry shipments throughout winter5 February 2016, 7:00 pm
Because of four straight years of drought, many have forgotten that buying strawberries in the winter from California comes with potential supply gaps. When it rains it is difficult to get into the fields, and depending upon the severity of the storm, crop damage can occur. However, strawberry plants are typically prolific producers so a few days of good weather can create good supplies once again. This roller coaster ride is a fairly typical depiction of the January to March California ...
- Giant Food Stores introduces new fresh meal kits5 February 2016, 1:30 pm
Giant Food Stores has launched its new fresh meal kit program in 12 greater Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley stores. Each kit features pre-measured fresh ingredients to make two servings of the selected meal as well as step-by-step instructions. Giant's fresh meal kits will be featured in the produce, meat or deli sections. “Our customers are busy and these new fresh meal kits are another innovative way we are helping them to save time and eat well by getting a delicious and convenient hom...
- Mark Seay: From Super Bowl record book to Stater Bros.’ PR department5 February 2016, 1:00 pm
In celebration of Super Bowl 50, Stater Bros. family member and former NFL wide receiver Mark Seay presented the National Football League’s golden football to San Bernardino High School as part of the NFL’s Super Bowl High School Honor Roll. The presentation took place Tuesday, Jan. 26, during an assembly in the school’s auditorium.Mark Seay The Super Bowl High School Honor Roll recognizes high schools and communities that have contributed to Super Bowl history by presenting them with a c...
- Super avocado sales in 2015 portend very bright future5 February 2016, 11:00 am
As of this writing, Super Bowl 2016 — and another Avocados from Mexico commercial — is right around the corner. While the game is surely being anticipated by more people, all segments in the avocado industry are excited about what the ad might do for this year’s sales. Although it’s impossible to directly credit AFM’s Super Bowl ad in 2015 for the great year that avocados had in the United States, it is seemingly also impossible to ignore its impact.Since 2010, the avocado industry ha...
- Three companies restricted from operating in the produce industry5 February 2016, 9:00 am
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has imposed sanctions on three produce businesses for failure to pay reparation awards issued under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act. The following businesses and individuals are currently restricted from operating in the produce industry: Da Vinci Carriers Inc., operating out of Garden Grove, CA, for failing to pay a $23,704 award in favor of an Ohio seller. As of the issuance date of the reparation order, John H. Thompson was listed as the offi...
- Blooming Breeders
- Dutch Association for the Plant Reproduction Material Sector
- Flower Trials
- International Community of Breeders of Asexually Reproduced Ornamental and Fruit Varieties
- International Plant Propagator’s Society
- International Seed Federation
Florist and Florist Design
- American Institute of Floral Design
- British Florist Association
- Florist Chronicles
- Michigan Floral Association
- Society of American Florists
- Floral Business Magazine
- Florists’ Review Magazine
- Fresh Produce and Floral Council (FPFC)
- New England Produce Council (NEPC)
- Product News-Floral Marketing
- Super Floral Retailing Magazine
Plants & Horticulture
- All-America Selections (AAS)
- American Horticulture Society (AHS)
- American Nursery and Landscape Association (ANLA)
- American Orchid Society (AOS)
- Association of Horticulture Professionals (OFA)
- Association Internationale des Producteurs de l’Horticulture
- Commercialization of Flowers and Plants in Brazil
- Florida Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association
- Garden Center Magazine
- Greenhouse Grower Magazine
- Green Profit Magazine
- Kid’s Gardening
- National Christmas Tree Association
- National Gardening Association (NGA)
- Perennial Plant Association (PPA)
- Plantscape Industry Alliance (PIA)
- Royal Horticulture Club
- Southern Nursery Association, Inc (SNA)
- Association of Dutch Orchid Producers
- Association of Specialty Cut Flowers Growers
- Belbex Trade Association of Exporting Tree and Hardy Nursery Stock Growers
- International Commercial Orchid Growers Organisation
- International Protea Association
- Italian Board for Flower and Plant Wholesalers
- Italy’s National Association for Nurserystock Exporters
- New Zealand Calla Council
- New Zealand Export Growers Orchid Association
- North American Flower Bulbs Wholesalers Association
- Orchid Growers of Hawaii
- Royal Dutch trade association for Nursery Stock and Flower Bulbs
- Royal General Association of the Dutch Bulb Industry
- Taiwan Orchid Grower Association
- Wildflowers Australia, Ltd
- Food Marketing Institute (FMI)
- National Grocers Association (NGA)
- National Retail Federation (NRF)
- Trend Hunter
- Retail Round-Up
- Antalya Cut Flower Exporters Union
- American Floral Endowment
- Brazilian Institute for Floriculture
- Canaries Export Organization for flowers and plants
- Commercial Horticultural Association in the UK
- Dutch Board for Flower Wholesalers
- Flora Hungaria
- Flower Import Trade Association of the UK
- Flowers Victoria
- German Wholesale and Import Organization
- Guatemalan Exporters Association
- International Garden Centre Association
- International Organization of Flower and Plant Wholesalers
- Jordanian Association for Cut Flowers and Ornamental Plants
- OFA-Association of Floriculture Professionals
- Pantone Trend Forecasting
- PMA(Produce Marketing Association)
- Protected Cropping Australia
- Report Linker for Floral
- Union of Flower Growers and Florists of the Czech Republic
- Wholesale Florist and Florist Supplier Association (WF & FSA)